Saturday, March 18, 2017

Tate's Birth Story


It's a BOY!
Tate Asher  (TAYT ASH-ur)
Born March 12, 2017
Tate: English Origin. Meaning: Cheerful
Asher: Hebrew. Meaning: happy, blessed, fortunate. In the Bible, one of Jacob's sons - promised a life blessed with abundance.  Genesis 30:13

First of all, I can't believe I haven't written a blog since Makena's Birth Story! Now almost two years later we have another child!  It's so incredibly mind-blowing awesome to think of everything that has happened in the last two years in our lives.  More on that later. 

Tate's birth story is a complete 180 difference than Makena's.  Basically everything that didn't happen with Makena, happened with Tate! Once again, I wanted to write this blog mostly for myself to remember all the juicy details of Tate's birth, and to remember the current long road ahead with having a baby in the NICU.  Maybe this blog post will find you with memories of when you had your child, or maybe an encouragement to you with something similar you're going through.  Whatever the case, I hope this post finds you well :)

It all started at an ultrasound done on a Thursday at 33 weeks.  I was scheduled to have this ultrasound in order to check the growth of the baby since he was considered small for his gestational age in other ultrasounds.  When meeting with the doctor afterwards, she told me the baby was definitely small, more symmetrical and proportioned than a typical baby at 33 weeks gestation.  So small in fact he was in less than the 10th percentile and only weighed 3.2 pounds. Another red flag was that my amniotic fluid was low.  At this appointment as well, my blood pressure was particularly higher than it had ever been (but it was also a stressful work week).  All these things together now made my pregnancy considered as "high-risk".  Basically when this happens you need to go in twice a week or more for a non-stress test and ultrasound or whatever tests they feel they need to give you. 
The following Monday I had an appointment for a non-stress test and later a follow up with a doctor.  The baby seemed fine on the non-stress test, not super active, but active enough I guess.  However, when meeting with the doctor he said he noticed there were high levels of protein in my urine and wanted me to get some blood work done just in case because he didn't want to ignore it.  So I stayed, got blood work done, and they said they'd call me later with the results.  

Afterwards I went back to work, taught piano after school, picked up Makena, and got the phone call.  My doctor said two of my tests came back with higher than normal results, and he wanted me to be monitored overnight in the hospital. 
Woah.
After a minor panic moment we went home, quick ate dinner, I showered, got ready, and we were on our way.  


The next three days and three nights in the hospital were a blur of blood tests, non-stress tests, ultrasounds, vitals, pee tests, doctors, and hours of waiting.  Basically doctors were trying to figure out why the baby wasn't growing, why my fluid was low, and why my body was reacting to things in weird ways.  When I left, there really weren't any conclusions made, except what was initially thought to be preeclampsia was decided that it wasn't that.  

So home I went on Thursday.... told to be on half bed rest and forced to start my maternity leave 6 weeks earlier than expected.  

On Saturday I went to school to try to clear up the chaos of having an unexpected sub all week, and when I came home I did my normal stuff and after Makena went to bed I laid down to relax in front of the tv, and started Moana.  While watching Moana I started feeling light-headed and almost buzzed like from drinking a little too much alcohol (obviously I hadn't been drinking).  My heart felt like it was beating out of it's chest, along with my head. Something was wrong.  Brian called his coworker/PA friend and he came over to check on me.  He stayed with Makena while me and Brian quick went to Meijer to get my blood pressure checked.  
It was high.

I called the answering service for my doctor, and after the doctor called me back he told me to go into triage just to get checked since my pregnancy was high-risk.  So off to triage we went! On the way to the hospital I felt fine again, and super tired since it was 1am, so I was telling Brian to turn around since I was fine.  Luckily, he didn't and we went in anyway.  In triage, they took my blood and put baby on the monitor for a non-stress test - something I had become very familiar with. After about an hour of being on the monitor, baby wasn't being very active (not something uncommon with these tests) so they sent me to ultrasound.  Baby did all his movements required to "pass,"  but my fluid was a lot lower than it was on Thursday when I was discharged from the hospital - went from 5.6% to 4.3%.  They also noticed after my ultrasound, when I went back on the monitor, that every once in a while the baby's heartbeat was decelerating but not consistently.  

SURPRISE! 
Because of the lower fluid and heartbeat decelerations.....
I was being admitted to the labor and delivery floor. And I couldn't eat or drink anything - not even water. Ugh. 

Rewind an hour before that at 3am. I ate a huge thing of these amazing french fries Brian got because I was STARVING. Thank GOD I ate when I could! 

So now we're on the Labor & Delivery floor.  I met with the doctor from my office on call, and it turns out MY doctor was on call right after her at 7. There's something about having your doctor with you that makes you so much more comfortable.  So I met with my doctor and the  Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) doctors that I had met last week, and they started talking about keeping me on the monitor for a while and if the heartbeat continues to have decelerations they'd do a c-section to get him out of there since that meant he was in distress. If not, I might have to stay in the hospital to be monitored.   I started praying so hard that there would just be a clear answer already, and if Tate was meant to come out today that it becomes clear for doctors to do so! 

Within the hour (it was about 8am), my nurse came in and tried to mentally prepare me for the fact that the doctors were saying I'd probably have a c-section this morning.  Also, the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me about everything as I signed consent forms.  And around 8:30, it was obvious to doctors that they needed to get that baby out, since "the risk of fetal death was greater being inside than out" - their words, not mine. They had to do a c-section because the baby probably couldn't survive a vaginal delivery. It wasn't a super emergency, but they wanted it done sooner than later, and said they'd wait for Brian to get here. 

Oh man. 

I called Brian at least 27 times.  He had gone back home right before I got admitted to rest and be with Makena because it didn't seem like anything huge would be happening. Whoops. And he sleeps like a rock and wasn't picking up the phone! I called my Aunt and she sent my uncle to come down to the house to bang on some windows to wake him up.  After finally waking up, he got Makena ready and dropped her off at my Aunt's, and finally made it to the hospital around 10am.  

I really didn't even know what to think or how to feel...I just wanted to make sure baby was okay and do anything I could to help him.  

So off I went to get a spinal tap.  After they numb you up your husband can come in.  The rest went really quickly.  C-sections are really weird, because you can't feel anything sharp or painful, but there's major pressure when they're shimmying the baby out of your uterus.  Pretty soon we heard a cry and baby Tate was born! 






3lbs 7oz
16.5" long



Welcome to the family, buddy :) 
He seemed fine, just really teeny! He was breathing on his own, and regulating his own body temperature, which are really great signs.  I got to give him a kiss and he went off to NICU with daddy following. 

Holding Tate for the first time,
about 6 hours old
Taking advantage of Meijer auto-wheel chairs,
I'm a hot mess in every way you can imagine!
Honestly, everything went really well.  Doctors were super surprised and kept commenting on how calm I was during the whole thing. Honestly, I knew God had everything under control and I was just thankful for the answer to prayer of having clear answers on what was best for Tate. For my first surgery ever, I’d say it went pretty well! Recovery isn’t pretty, but when is it ever? I’d say the hardest part of this birth story was having to be discharged from the hospital without your baby. Absolutely the worst moment of this whole experience. 

Other than that, we’re now leading the double life of NICU visits and “normal” life. But it’s been encouraging to see improvements with Tate every day, and hopefully he’ll be home with us soon.  I’ll continue to post updates about Tate in the NICU as we go on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment