Tuesday, April 12, 2011

lucky 23.

Well, I have been putting off writing a blog about this (mainly because I kept forgetting to take pictures, and lets just put this out there - blogs aren't as fun to read when theres no pictures haha)

So, a lot has changed at school this quarter.  I don't remember if I mentioned this, but towards the beginning of the school year there happened to be six pregnant women on staff at JCS. Basically, I'm constantly surrounded by pregnant women at work.  So, as these women have begun to give birth (which is basically one every month now), JCS has found itself with a lack of substitute teachers.  Our fifth grade teacher, Laura (whom i took the pregnant pictures of earlier this year) had a substitute for her class, but two weeks before her due date her sub backed out. We were therefore in a dilema. Basically, in a nutshell, the outcome of this problem was to for Natalie Brewer (the other 3rd grade teacher) to teach 5th grade and combine 3rd grades, where I would teach all 23 of them.

So that's what happened. I went from having 12 students, to 11 students, then to 23 students.


After

Before












You're probably thinking, "oh, 23 students isn't that bad - it's just like teaching in the states" Well, yes. HOWEVER, going from a teaching style of 11 students to 23 students is definitely a challenge. So, we've been nice and cozy in our classroom upstairs learning up a storm all together. I will admit, I actually kind of like it better! Management seems easier, and forces me to be more organized.  Although I can't give all my students the attention they need like I could before, I feel like for the majority of our time together it's still a fun learning environment. AND, this will prepare myself for having 20 students next year!

Here's some improvements to my classroom that I've made recently...

Reading Sticker Chart
New Job Chart


Measurement Bulletin Board

Hawaiian Word of the Week



Skeleton (that I drew for a posture lesson), Behavior pins, Calendar,
Spring Break count down (paper chain), Class Rules

The last two weeks I have been teaching health, more specifically about posture. I had all my students practice good sitting, standing, and walking posture by sitting, standing, and walking with balacing books on their heads. It was fun!






Add caption

Never a dull moment in 3rd grade!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment