Wednesday, February 16, 2011

incredibly INCONVENIENT.


So, basically for the last two days I've been living without running water in my house. This means no flushing toilets, no showers, and not being able to wash dishes, and no filling up our water filter for safe drinking water. 
What happens is that we have something called a tinaca on the top of our house that holds a bunch of water in it. In order for the water to run upstairs (where we live), the electricity from the downstairs apartment needs to be working properly.  So what happened was that our "neighbors" downstairs didn't pay their electric bill, and they cut the electricity for downstairs - which in return affected us in the way of us not having running water in our house.
Let me just tell you. I don't think I realized how much I expect to have running water in my life.  Just simple things like washing hands, flushing toilets, rinsing my coffee cup - none of this was possible! It's SO CRAZY, and humbling to think.....
                        "wow. so many people in the world never have running water."
I also kind of realized how important water is to LIVE. Now, I know you're probably reading this and are like "oh my gosh.... Jess is just realizing this now?" Well, no. This was just kind of a reality check.  You truly never know what you have until it's gone. Not having running water for two days straight was tough, but not unbearable at all.
           Just...... incredibly inconvenient.
That's the way we, as middle-class Americans live though.  Where things are always convenient.  Where frustrations occur when things as silly as the store didn't have the right kind of soap I wanted or the color shirt I wanted to buy. 

Maybe we should start getting rid of these silly conveniences in our lives and start thinking about what really matters.....God gave us one life, and we can't waste it by worrying about silly, pompous, "convenient" things.

Let's go out and DO SOMETHING worthy of what God gave us!

No comments:

Post a Comment