Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Viva Mexico!

So, although I'm already in the Dominican Republic, I figured I'd fill everyone in on our HS mission trip to Ensenada, Mexico last week.
So, we left July 23 on a Friday to travel on a red eye to San Diego.  I was pretty much freaking out the week we left because I wasn't coming back to Hawaii in between going to Mexico and the DR, so packing was very hectic. I spent almost 8 hours freaking out and packing for Mexico and the DR, so it was super crazy. Then, leaving on Friday was really diffult...saying goodbye to family and friends that I probably won't see for at least a year or so (maybe family sooner? hope so!).
We got to San Diego early Saturday morning and waited for about 4-5 hours in the airport until we got vans to drive us to Mexico.  During that time, one of my friends from my youth group in High School lives in San Diego, and she was nice enough to come to the airport to pick up my two huge suitcases with all me DR stuff and brought them to her house for the week while we were going to be in Mexico (Thanks kinsey!).  I was going to stay with her for a night before heading out to the DR right after leaving the group in San Diego. So that was nice.

Anyway, after we FINALLY got the vans all rented, we went to some place to shower in Mission Valley, and headed on our way to Mexico! The drive to Ensenada was about two or three hours, and when we arrived at Rancho El Milagro (the orphanage we worked in) the tents were all ready and dinner was almost served. We ate so well!!!
So, throughout the week in a nutshell -->
We painted, fixed roofs, dug ditches, built walls, poured cement, built bridges, and more all over the orphanage.  In the afternoons, we did activities with the kids, like decorating pillowcases, constructing key chains, decorating other toys, and making picture frames.  We all had such a wonderful time bonding with the kids throughout the week - no matter what the language barrier of most of our group. 
Since I spoke the most Spanish, I was pretty much nominated to lead the chapel services with the kids at the orphanage, which we did three times throughout the week. This consisted of singing praise songs, acting out a bible story, and a little message at the end of each talk.  It was really fun! and a great way to practice my Spanish :)

Josh, Me, and Eli at the top of our "hike" to see the view of the orphanage on Sunday


Street Ministry Kids, with their decorated pillows and leis!
Kimber, 5 years old :)

One of the kids at Rancho El Milagro

Two other kids at Rancho El Milagro
Christie, Jamie, Brandon (Rancho El Milagro), and Me after the last "capilla" or chapel with the kids
We won't see each other till next summer :(

I could go into more detail about the trip, but theres just so much i can say and i could go on and on for a long time.  if you want to know more, please dont hesitate to ask! i would love to talk story with you about mexico :)

More about the DR soon!!!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment