Sunday, October 30, 2011

jump in?

so
many
things
to
complain 
about...



...but what's the point?



I went hiking yesterday to the Jimenoa waterfalls - one of my most favorite hikes here in Jarabacoa.  After a good 35 minute uphill hike, we finally reached the beautiful second waterfall.  The water was clear, almost turquoise, and the sun was hitting the rocks and water in all the right spots.  Just BEAUTIFUL. I was with a bunch of people who wanted to explore the area a bit further than I had before, and we ended up following the water flow down some smaller falls into other beautiful natural pools.  There was one part where it was required that you jump off a rock into the water - only about 12 feet high.  But...


I panicked. 


I absolutely couldn't do it! Something inside of me flipped my insides around in my stomach and made my legs freeze every time I built up the courage to jump.  I kept thinking to myself  "Jess. You've jumped from higher rocks before, stop freaking out! Everyone else did it..." But i stayed frozen.  

This month hasn't been easy.  Things at work are a mess.  People I'm surrounded with are becoming more and more negative.  Emotions are flying everywhere.  It should be so easy to jump into that pool of negativity and messy emotions, right? I've done it before....

Honestly, things with me personally have never been better.  I'm in love with my life, and I'm in love with God for giving that life to me. I was telling someone the other day that if I were a child and been asked to draw how I feel, I would draw me in the middle, surrounded by a yellow ball of light, but on the outsides there would be black. So, what in the world am I supposed to do with this? 

I'm not saying I don't dabble my toes in negativity with frustrating situations, but something inside of me churns and I stay frozen from heading into a negative spiral. 

Thank you, God? Yes. Thank you, God. 

 
"so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light." Colossians 1:10-12

Good verse, huh?

(oh, and for the record.. I didn't actually jump)

1 comment:

  1. Your little kid picture totally reminded me of a sermon that i heard years ago but it impacted me so much I left the notes in my Bible. It was on Ephesians 5:1-21 and talked about walking in light rather than darkness.

    The pastor talked about how light is a reflection of God and darkness is a reflection of self. God tells us to be imitators of Him-and to reflect Him by walking in love.
    My notes say "God orders us to walk in light which means to reflect Him in all that we do. By reflecting Him we are showing love to everyone; even the ones who have wronged us, even the ones who annoy us, and ESPECIALLY the ones who are hardest to love.

    My prayer for you is that you reflect God's love into the darkness. Negativity comes from self. I pray that your light will remind people where true contentment comes from. I love you!

    ReplyDelete